Saturday, November 2, 2019

Updating my Motherboard to SKR v 1.3, TFT 28, and 2208

Well, I  just had my printer set up so it was printing reliably each and every time.  All of my prints wer good.  And then I had a motherboard failure.  I believe it was due to one of the thermistor wires on the heatbed coming loose and touching the 12V supply line on the heated bed, which destroyed the hot bed A/D converter on the Melzi board.  Whether this is the exact case or not, both the hot end and the heated bed thermistors read properly when plugged into the hot end themistor plug.  And they both read Max Temp when plugged into the hot bed thermistor plug.  So it was time for a new motherboard.

I ordered a replacement motherboard from Tronxy.  And waited and waited for it to come.  And thought about some of the neat features that are available on other 3D printers.  Like a cool graphic LCD.  Easy ability to make on-the-fly temperature and speed adjustment.  Filament break detection.  Silent stepping.   And I decided to upgrade my motherboard.

So I ordered a Big Tree Tech SKR v 1.3 motherboard, a Big Tree TechTFT 28 touch screen display, 5 Big Tree Tech TMC 2208 v3.0 UART stepper drivers, and a Biqu Smart Filament Detector.  Now it's time to get them installed.

Installation instructions are pretty sparse on the web.  There are some great YouTube videos that show how to do it.  But although I love watching videos to see how things are done, I hate watching videos to get information that is easily captured in writing.  So I'm going to capture the content of the videos in writing as I work through my install.

You can get the motherboard instructions here.

Configuring the Motherboard Hardware

  1. Because I will be using an extenal power supply, rather than powering off the USB, I need to set the power jumper on the board so it connects +5V to INT, rather than connecting +5V to USB.
  2. Because I will be using UART stepper drivers, I need to remove all the jumpers from the stepper driver sockets.  Note: I will be using the E1 driver as muy second Z stepper.
  3. Install the UART jumpers for each of the stepper motor ports

2 comments:

  1. stumbled upon this post and wondered how it turned out for you? I have almost the exact same setup minus the run out sensor and i removed my ABL sensor - never really worked right for me. I'm having a bugger of a time getting the configuration to compile and was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your configuration files. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. figured it out! i had the config.h file not in the root of the folder, which was causing my compiles to fail.

    ReplyDelete