Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Tronxy X3A Initial Impressions

I just bought my first 3D printer -- A Tronxy X3A self-leveling printer -- on ebay.  I chose the printer because it was inexpensive, seemed to have good components, and was self-leveling.  This begins my 3D printing experience.

Because there's not a lot of documentation for this printer, I thought I'd start a blog as a place to share my experiences.  It will provide a place for me to keep track of important information, and maybe it will help others.

Let me begin with a list of pros and cons for my new printer.

Pros

  • Great structure.  Built with aluminum extrusions, which makes it light and rigid.
  • High build quality for parts.  Everything fit well and went together nicely.  Some of the more complex subassemblies came preassembled.
  • All-metal extruder head.
  • Sockets, rather than screw terminals, for wiring components.  Made the wiring nice and robust.
  • Smooth roller system for axes.
  • Twin-screw z-axis drive is very smooth and robust.
  • Nice filament roll support system.
  • Nice enclosure for the electronics (although I might prefer to have the electronics better integrated with the printer structure).

Cons

  • Cryptic instructions.  The printer came with a set of pictorial instructions.  They were sufficient to build the printer, but I ended up moving backwards several times through the construction because I had missed something (or else it wasn't even covered in the instructions).
  • No help once you get the printer built.  Once the printer was built, I was on my own for getting it up and running.  Fortunately, there is a robust 3D printing community, and this Tronxy is a prusa derivative, so most of the prusa i3 instructions will apply.
  • Weak after-sale support.  Whenever I asked a question of the seller on ebay, I got an offer for a partial refund, rather than the answer to the question I wanted.  I felt like I was pretty much on my own.
  • Although I bought an auto-leveling printer, the one I received didn't have the auto-level sensor. And Tronxy wouldn't send me one.  They did give me a $20 partial refund, and I used that money to buy the sensor elsewhere, so I think I will soon have autolevel.

Summary

Would I buy this printer again?  In a heartbeat.  The price is right; the parts quality appears to be excellent; the printer works.

But I wish the documentation were better.  I'll provide some notes that would have helped me had I had them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello there!

    I found your blog quite interesting as I myself have bought a X3A. I am still assembling it and, like you, found the instructions to be pretty bad. I do have a question: did you use the 8mm bolts to secure de buttress supports of the z axis? What about the motor mounts? I found that they would be loose if I used the 8 mm and switched to the 4mm instead but am a bit concerned. Any help and input on the build would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For one of the motor mounts I ended up using shorter bolts, because I didn't have enough of the long bolts.

    I don't remember exactly which it was. I do remember asking the seller about it and didn't get any useful information.

    As long as you can get it secure, I think you are in good shape. As far as I can see there are no bolts that are super critical.

    ReplyDelete