Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Using Repetier Host with my Tronxy X3A

I want to do an autotune on my extruder to get better temperature control.  To do that, I need to send an M303 code to my printer.  I hope to use Repetier host to do that.  This entry shows the process.

Setting up the Printer

I needed to set the 3D printer up properly as a printer in Repetier.

Getting the driver

I needed a USB to serial driver.  The website for a downloadable driver is found on the microSD card that came with the printer.  For my printer, the website was http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Then I installed the appropriate driver for my system.  Now I have a usb to serial port as my printer.

Setting the Baudrate

In order to communicate properly, the baudrate of the Repetier host needs to match that of the printer. 
Use the LCD panel to get to Configuration/General/Baudrate.  The baudrate on your printer displays.

Now go to Repetier and look at the Printer menu, Printer Settings, select the proper baud rate, and hit OK.  

Then click on the Connect button, and the printer should be connected.  Your printer should reset, and you should get a message that tells what your firmware is (in my case, Repetier_0.01).  And your printer status should go to idle.

Running an Autotune

The following command should give me an autotune:

 M303 E0 S200 C8

I need to get this command to the printer. O To do so, I use a script under the G-Code tab in Repetier-host.

Select Script  1 from the list.

Paste in the command above.

Save it with the save icon.

Go to Printer/Send Script 1.  This starts the autotune running.  On Repetier-host I see

Info: PID Autotune Start

Now I need to wait for the extruder temperature to go above and below 200 C 8 times.

Another way to send the command

An easier way to send the command to the printer is using the Print Panel.

On the print panel, there's a G-code entry box.  Paste the command above into the box, and click the Send button.  And the autotune runs just as it did above.

1 comment:

  1. do you have to save afterwards?? or is it just set for you? thanks for the tutorial btw really helpfull

    ReplyDelete